Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Moral Superiority

I was in the checkout line at Rite-Aid yesterday. At the front of the line was a tall fat pimply young woman who was being held up while the clerk incompetently checked her ID to see if she was old enough to buy a bottle of flavored vodka. One could not doubt that her object was to get wasted and with any luck debauched. The Mexican ahead of me in line had a box of condoms, presumably to get debauched without even bothering to get wasted. I was shaking my head over the apparent moral decline of the citizenry of El Cerrito. Then it occurred to me that I was also in line and I was buying a CD mailer with which to send a friend a pirated copy of Adobe Photoshop.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2:40 PM

    So assuming that she was over 21, no law was broken since debauchery is not a crime. You were the only one doing something that is not only unethical, but illegal. I think your outrage may have to do with the fact that you weren't going to get "debauched" that night.

    And besides, would you rather the Mexican not use a condom? He may have been the only moral and responsible person in line.

    ReplyDelete