Thursday, December 27, 2007

Benazir Bhutto

The assassination of Benazir Bhutto brings to mind John Donne - "Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." The collapse of Pakistan into Gaza-like chaos containing nuclear weapons would be a significant disaster for everyone in the world. It is not my custom to distinguish between good Muslims and bad Muslims but I am here obliged to pull in my horns and hope that the less crazy and less maladapted-for-reality Muslims prevail over those more crazy and maladapted.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:14 PM

    This reminds me of the time I spent with Benazir Bhutto back in the early 70's. She was doing graduate work at UC Berkeley, she being quite unknown back then. I was a gardener at the Kingsly Arms Hotel where she was staying. Of course, in her home country she would never have anything to do with a gardener, but back then she was lonely, friendless, and very much a woman. Benzie and I would dine on lamb shanks and sweet potatoes which I cooked in my little gardeners cottage. Our passionate lovemaking often disturbed the other guests at the prestigious hotel as, alas, Benzie was a screamer. I am so saddened by the news today, as she was the best piece of Pakistani ass I ever had.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That brings a tear to my eye, LJ.

    ReplyDelete