Tuesday, January 22, 2008

My New Diet an Unexpected Success

Since October I have lost my ass. Unfortunately I lost it in the stock market. My main stock, an ETF (Exchange Traded Fund, i.e. shares based on an index mutual fund) named VXF (Vanguard Extended Market, i.e. the 4500 NYSE stocks not in the S&P 500) was 116 on October 11. This morning it opened at 86. You do the math. For the fraction-impaired, subtract the low number from the high number, divide by the high number, equals down-the-crapper.

The Fed's sharp rate cut this morning reduced what started as a large economic disaster to a moderate one. Still, disaster probably should not be the goal of government policy.

I have lost not only my money but my self-esteem as well. When the market was up, I was giving people pompous investment advice as though I knew what I was talking about. Now I am embarrassed to recall having done that. Sigh.

My other, Wellbutrin-fueled, diet has also had modest success. Since October I have shed a pants size, down from Boy-Are-You-Fat to mere Triple Enormous. Someone actually noticed the change without even being prompted. Needless to say I will cherish that person forever.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous4:52 AM

    Seems you lost your shirt and your pot at the same time.

    ReplyDelete