Saturday, May 17, 2008

Reprise


There were two large ravens crying out loudly and circling in obvious distress yesterday. I felt like a criminal for spiriting away their little Edgar, until it occurred to me that it was under their care that he had irretrievably fallen thirty feel out of the tree.

Later I found another nestling, almost identical to Edgar, lying on the sidewalk near where I had found the first. So Edgar's being on the sidewalk had not been an accident. Someone has been pushing raven chicks out of their nest somewhere in Gus. My guess is that it was other ravens competing for territory. Good for the individual who does it, bad for the species. Not unlike profiting from global warming. I've got mine. I'm in the nest, Jack.

I was about to be late for the UPS office to still be open so I left little Allen on the sidewalk until I got back from my errand. When I got back he was gone. I have a bad feeling about this.

There are cats in the neighborhood but I was in a hurry and I figured they wouldn't get him before I got back. I was also afraid I would look like an idiot for calling Animal Control again the next day with another little raven. And he had so little bargaining power.

No comments:

Post a Comment