Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Think Globally, Act Legally

[Jimmy Stewart, Frank Capra, the Richmond Superior Court, and me]

I am going off to do jury duty in a few minutes. The greatest likelihood is that I will sit around for a few hours and then be thanked and sent home.

In the movies, the juror who has gone to the trouble to take written notes is usually selected as foreman, so I am taking a notebook and pens. I would like to be on a jury, but it would be a huge pain in the ass if it conflicted with my going to China for the eclipse.

Curiously I find that I have no strong prejudices, as I would expect to have. I have no impulse to Hang 'em High, nor to sympathize with a youthful defendant facing a jail term. Which makes me a good venireman. (A venireman is a potential juror - only when the jury is selected and seated do 12 of the veniremen become jurors. The word has become obsolete apparently because 'venireperson' is thought ridiculous, in spite of being a perfectly good word.)

About civil cases, I do have a sense that insurance companies are moral sludge and it would be hard to find in favor of a corporate defendant against an injured plaintiff. But that is such a universal sentiment that it is grounds for instant mistrial to so much as mention insurance in a tort case. So there is not much prejudice that is out of the ordinary about that.

In any case, the greatest likelihood is that I will be sent home either this morning or this afternoon.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:33 AM

    Have fun storming the castle!

    ReplyDelete