Friday, October 17, 2008

A Separate Peace



























[Tom Dewey. Defeated Harry Truman in the 1948 election. US President 1948-1952]
















The Campaign is Over
For me at least. I just voted with an absentee ballot.

I have a confession to make. I went to a McCain-Palin rally, or was dragged to one, but the result was the same. It was a small meeting in Fresno. It was so small that at the end of the speeches they took questions. McCain had earlier said, with doubtful sincerity, that no one should be bailed out of the mortgage market collapse. So I asked the speaker if that meant that a McCain administration would permit all the banks to fail. He floundered and denied and said this and that and people in the audience became uncomfortable.

I almost felt some sympathy for him, because if McCain's position had been to vote for the bailout (as he subsequently did) my question would have been whether he was really willing to give three-quarters of a trillion taxpayer dollars to the very bankers who had brought on this crisis with their greed, dishonesty, and incompetence.

[McCain had earlier said that he was against the government bailing anyone out, except in special circumstances where they were so big that it would harm the economy not to. Since this was after the Bear Stearns bailout which McCain had not spoken against, it meant in effect that he would bail out bankrupt banks but not borrowers being foreclosed out of their homes. This was consistent with GOP policies down through the generations. In fact GOP itself stands for Grind the faces Of the Poor. But I digress.]

Anyway they gave me a red McCain-Palin ballpoint pen. Later I realized why those political giveaway pens always write in black ink. Ballots must be marked in black. Clever. I used my McCain pen to vote for Obama. That felt great.

No comments:

Post a Comment