Saturday, February 16, 2008

Shabbat Shalom

The cherry blossoms have come in my yard. The joy and beauty bring me almost to tears. I can understand the inner impulses that drive religions of Spring Rebirth, including one popular in the Americas. And gratitude that the winter is past and that we are still alive.

"In the spring a young man's fancy turns lightly to thoughts of love." (Tennyson, 'Locksley Hall')
So what does an old man's fancy turn to in the spring?

"The flowers appear on the earth; the time of singing is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land." Song of Solomon (JPS translation)

I am restless. The spring is a time of new beginnings. What will I begin? Is there more to life than travel, running errands, and dating old ladies? In an earlier era I would have begun the spring planting. I would have begun pairing cattle, sheep, and goats as their breeding season began.

For medieval Vikings and Arabs, spring was the beginning of monastery-looting season. For baseball players it is the beginning of steroid and lying-to-Congress season.

I can feel the sap rising but I don't know what to do with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment